New Firefighter Plate Applications Available in Refillable pdf and Word
By Chief Duane Hendrickson
August 18, 2014

Attached are the DOT forms used for firefighter license plate renewal. This form must be used for the firefighter that wants to keep an old number that is now considered a modified personal plate.

Attachment Firefighter Plate Application Refillable.pdf  (1,828k)
Attachment Firefighter Plate Application.docx  (39k)

Dean A Graham November 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM
I was just told by my county treasurer that my firefighters who already have ff plates will have to provide a notericed application just to renew their plates. this is a huge inconveince for everyone involved. why is this .

Iowa Fire Chiefs Association December 07, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Most county treasurers offer a service that each department gives a list of qualifying members and approved retired members on department letterhead with one copy of the plate application. If the member wants to keep the original number, that has to be done on renewal with an individual application because that has become a special vanity plate.

Dave Huffman December 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM
Nearly all Volunteer Firefighters have full time jobs and to have to take time from your job just to get a new form notarized is a complete joke. My firefighters that had them said they will give them up to avoid the hassle. The Fire Chiefs and Firefighters Association should be fighting against this type of foolish rule by the state. Might just have to quit paying dues to both if this is how we get rewarded.

Joe Blow February 01, 2018 at 5:42 AM
How do you get a former plates revoked? Former member left in bad standing and not sure how he renewed plates. He had 10 years in but was fired before his plate renewal. It is believed he photocopied the renewal paper from a former chief.

Rodney Kennedy August 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM
I just have a question pertaining to fire plates. I am a member of the Army Reserves out of Des Moines Iowa and was wondering if we would qualify to get fire plate or not. I have had them before but unfortunately had to leave the current department that I was on because I was moving and had to give them up. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you very much.

Iowa Fire Chiefs Association August 29, 2018 at 3:32 PM
There could a way to receive a plate. If the base has a fire brigade and that chief (command) is able to fill out the form, that is the only way I see to achieve this. If you were on your past department for over 10 years, you may qualify as a retired member. That would take your past chief's approval.

Don Steenhoek September 28, 2018 at 9:22 AM
With all the computer technology there should be a way for the state / county / fire chiefs to keep a list of current fire dept. members, so that you do not have to provide a document to get plates renewed! You can get any other special plate and have it renewed without documentation! Let's move into the 21st century!!

Iowa Fire Chiefs Association October 02, 2018 at 4:25 PM
I think we all agree with the inefficiency of the plate approval process. Some County Treasurers do allow for an approved list updated annually that is submitted by each department. It is possible yours may be one. Can't hurt to ask. However, if they are like ours, they default to the DOT rules. The IFA is working through administrative rules to ease the process while keeping to the intent of approval only by the Chief for members and retired member in good standing.

Joe June 17, 2019 at 10:25 AM
If your a retired member of fire department do you have to get the paper signed every year

Iowa Fire Chiefs Association June 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM
If a retired firefighter has had a signed plate application done once, they do not need it done again. If a retired member becomes NOT approved, I assume you must call the county treasurer.

Douglas Kolkman August 04, 2019 at 8:04 AM
where can you get the blue light permit?

Iowa Fire Chiefs Association August 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM
The blue light permit form 411022 from the DOT is available only by ordering from the DOT (not available online). That contact is Julie Willenborg at They can be requested by email and then mailed to the chief given department and mailing address.